Wednesday, July 7, 2010

I Hate Luv Storys.....


I was talking to a friend last night and she said, "I read few of your post because you sound too political, serious and depressing". So, I decided that instead of giving you serious Bhasahan everytime, I must also give you a light hearted snippet of my imperfect life with this movie Yatra I had a day before.

As usual, I was working in my office when Ainu, the lady love of my life, called me up and announced her plan to watch the matinee show of I Hate Luv Storys. Obviously I protested that I can’t leave like this but to any avail as she was adamant to see Imran Khan’s stupid skin show. Thanks to the marketing team at I Hate Luv Storys and the ever ready media for creating this pseudo hype as I didn’t find anything attractive in that kid’s skin show.
Now, after the call, I started brooding over my early departure from the office. Whom should I declare dead? Hmmm…I was thinking of everyone under the sun but that was too risky as my colleagues will start presenting their condolences which I can’t bear. Or should I act like been poisoned by a jealous colleague? But being an innate Sharif insan, I went straigh away to my boss and told her the real story and amazingly she complied with my request.

She drove to my office and almost threw me in her car and while considering herself to be a Superwoman with invincible speed, drove both of us to the theatre before the movie started. But the whole journey has its usual ingredients like Ainu asking directions for the same theatre where we have seen dozens of movies; everyone crossing our way was been blessed with curses and abuses and the usual panic associated with socially challenged people(us). After driving at the speed of God knows miles per hour, we finally reached at our destination. We actually ran from the parking lot to collect the ticket but before that we both were checked by security personnels. As I was been man-handled by guard whom I would give 2.5(Tip: Adding decimal to figures make you more authentic) on 10, I cried out to the officer that she got bomb in her large bag to which she honored me with fine words of her I am unable to share here. After collecting the tickets as we were rushing towards the hall, all of a sudden, she realized that she badly need diet coke and popcorn to go through this cinematic experience so went to the tuck shop and got required props. While holding coke in one hand, popcorn in the other and ticket in my mouth, as I entered the dark alley leading to hall a not so happening ticket checker took ticket from my mouth, tore the required piece down and put in my pocket smilingly.

After settling down, the first thing I noticed was the generic freshness Sonam and Imran have brought to the screen. From its catchy title to the on-screen chemistry between the leads, is a success story, all the way. But the most striking thing I noticed was the shots, and the excellent camera work done by Ayananka Bose et al.


The basic idea was novice as Punit Malhotra, the writer and director, weave the storyline around Imran’s maxim “I hate love stories.” Although it was expected that in the end, he would defy his ideology and will fall for none other than our female lead but the way plot was developed and executed, scene by scene, one kept on expecting what would happen next. That’s an achievement for the new comer Punit who mantained viewers' interest intact. The idea of movie within the movie and usage of famous dialogues from Karan Johar productions was a treat for his fans. And let me confess I am one of them. The way those moments were recreated and ridiculed, while I was getting nostaligic and happy, is a highly appreciatable work.

Moreover, I haven’t heard so many lesbian references in any Bollywood movie before as I laughed my heart out when all of them were directed towards Imran. I strongly believed that Sonam should have married her childhood love till the very last scene between them, where Sameer proposed her. But I changed my mind; when the writer made me realize that he didn’t even know that she like red flowers, holy shit. If I would be in her place, I would have created a huge drama there and slap and beat him up and run away, which precisely she did (without creating potential drama.

As far as music is concerned, I liked the title track as well as Bin Teray by Shafqat and Sunidhi but for me the hallmark was Baharaan Baharaan by Sherya Goshal. It is such an amazing track that as soon as I reached back at my place, I took my bed spread and while flaunting it like a duppata, started dancing and received fully loaded comments from my sister who thinks that I sing and dance awfully. At the same moment, I was also getting nostalgic as I remembered, how much I used to deny love at first sight and how I was grounded. I was re-experiencing that same euphoria of first love when everything seems so happy and gay. And Baharaan Baharan was making me relive it……

Baharaan baharaan huya dil pehli baar ve
Baharaan baharaan ki chain to huya faraar ve
Baharaan baharaan huya dil pehli pehli baar ve…..

4 comments:

  1. The way you tell a story is amazing.I could help laughing.This post could very well have been a dumb one where we were directly told everything,but you cared to notice small thing,small things which made a huge difference(for us and of course the PR team of I Hate Luv Story).
    Love the way you express,and I would one day love to meet this friend of yours who happens to be as nuts I am and makes me believe she might be my twin sister I lost in 'gumm ka mela'. :P
    Keep Writing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanx Nuwas for ur valuable time and comments. She is actually a female replica of mine, the kind of Spontaneity, social and mental retardness we carry and share is almost like you. I guess, maybe we all got lost in Kumm ka mela and btw its Kum ka mela not Gumm ka mela.

    ReplyDelete
  3. uff hadi cannot help being a teacher n correcting ppl..get a life my sweetheart..its ok kum ka mela..big deal..we dont ve any of these melas here..lol..@manto..good to read u r comment by the way i like ur sir name as im a fan of manto the writer..the story hadi has told is very surprising for me too as i didnt realize i am actually insane before..lol..but imran khan is quite cute and im not much interested in the skin but many other things in him..lolzz..the movie was very beautiful indeed and i loved the song bin terey...i ve a thing for shafqat s voice..since the day i ve watched the movie i got the track in my car..and i replay it so much tht at the end it refuses to play..n hadi i love u for always being kidnapped by me..muah

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lecture dena to meri gutti main shamil hai :) Don't worry i ll write a detailed post on your perversions :)I do love to be kidnapped by you yaar, anytime

    ReplyDelete