Tuesday, March 16, 2010

It's Rain Again



I was getting bored in the office one fine day, when it started to rain. Then I started feeling a regenerating change in my otherwise bored mood. I was enjoying watching the rain drops splashing on the glass window of my office and than suddenly I decided to come in direct contact with them. When I stepped out under the cloudy sky, the rain started drenching me like anything. It was moment of spontaneous and juvenile joy, such as I used to feel when I was a kid and I would run, play and enjoy myself in the rain. My nostalgia took me back to my unbounded, serene childhood which has always fascinated me. The rain, a symbol of my past, just brought back all the flavor and fervor of my childhood to me. The tiny refreshing rain drops were caressing me like a child who has lost his favorite toy and they were trying to placate him and infusing life and mirth in his lost soul by their touch. An loud horn of a car made me come out of my reverie, and the driver uttered several curses. I just smiled and thought that now we are only left with these ‘curses’.

Every time when it rains, we have become attuned to watching TV channels lamenting over the lack of system developed for the discharge of rain water and the flood-like situation that has developed and which is jamming people’s routine life. People have now lost that sense of enjoyment which they used to have years back. Special foods and pakwans like, samosas, pakoras were prepared to celebrate the festivity of the season. One can witness children running and playing in the streets enjoying the rain and everything, both animate and inanimate, seemed to get refreshed from the cool, transparent and blessed drops falling from the sky. Rain was then a blessing not a misery.

But now the whole situation has changed and sometimes I wonder what has gone wrong. Has our behavior changed so much that we have become unable to appreciate the blessing of God or has the blessing itself changed its nature and now converted into a threat and unpleasant occurrence. Floods used to come previously too. People used to face the same water discharge problems, but there wasn’t such a hue and cry which has now become a benchmark of our monsoon life.

The reason seems that we as a nation have become more intolerant and impatient and have lost harmonious unity of getting along with each other. That’s why problems are ruling us and driving us in any direction they want. We have to reunite; we have to achieve the same synchrony which we had when this country got independence. We have to rise above from our petty preferences and regional identities. Only than can we tackle with every quirk and disaster tactfully.

Photo Courtesy: Coloured Daisy by Gabriella Fabbri

3 comments:

  1. nowadays people try to hide their shortcommings by blaming nature...this article is a perfect xample ov it.n no1 sees the + aspect..the darker images r highlighted instead

    ReplyDelete
  2. rain always reminds me of good times i ve spent with a friend..but they are old times n no one remains friend for life i guess n we learn to live with or without them. rain continues n memories continue to visit us but life goes on..

    ReplyDelete