Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Karachi and its Disasters


Last weekend I was in Karachi and it was a memorable experience in many aspects. What started off as a professional research based trip turned out to be quite surprising and full of insight in personal sphere as well. Apart from my work, I was so much excited and looking forward to meet all my Facebook friends in Karachi who were desperately waiting to hang out with me. Before starting off with the actual events and the friendliness of my friends in question, let me tell you that I have never been attracted to Karachi, the city. All I know about Karachi is that it’s a city full of street crimes and every day is like a battle field where survival is difficult. Other than that, this city inhibits few of my intimate partners and we broke up in nasty manner. Then there's a guy, the only guy in the entire world, I hate unconditionally, is also a Karachite. Therefore I didn't have any reason to like Karachi apart from my online friends.
In this post I am going to write about the negative experiences with Karachi Facebook friends. The real drama with these friends started as soon as I announced my trip to them.


CASE1: A guy who used to count me as his very close and dear friend, who has asked about me and my life, contact information and all that, with whom I have talked and chatted for hours and hours, who had planned to send a birthday gift to me since August, and who has always insisted me to visit Karachi as soon as possible asked me, just a few days before my visit, "Can I trust you.?" And I was like, "Ask your heart." To which he texted, "But my heart does make mistakes at times, that's why I am asking you." I replied, "I don't know, it's your decision." No further exchange of texts on this issue, though we texted each other few times after that in which once I told him that I 'llnt see him.
He didn't contact me during my visit to Karachi and neither did I. So, that's the end of an apparently beautiful and bosom online friendship (pun intended). I was really hurt when he posed that question; I mean I can understand that he a closet shit hole who has billions of issues but then why the fuck he was always so pressing on meeting and all that?


CASE 2: I know this guy from almost a year and he's very much dear and close to my heart because I can see a younger Hadi Hussain in him. His on-going conflict between his sexual orientation and religious affiliation reminds me of my struggle with the same issues when I was of his age. We both confided in each other and really think that we are really good friends. Though I have issues and strong prejudice about him for being an Aquarian (sorry but my bitter life experiences have made me so) but still I couldn't leave him alone in his struggle, (the humane bitch inside me). Before this visit, I had plans to visit Karachi but it was never materialized. At that time, he clearly refused to see or meet me because he is also a closet shit hole and don't even want to see another queer, (he's extremely closet at facebook as well, though I was privileged to have his contact information and to see his pics, which I never asked for by the way). I was really taken aback at that time and the residual feeling was still there, so I planned to give him a surprise this time. I told him that I 'llnt meet him because of his reaction last time. (By the way his gift was also scheduled in the August, which I haven't received yet). So, I started this pretense but as I reached Karachi, I called him daily several times, in order to check whether he's at his place or at work and most of the times he ignored me calls or texts and at others sounded so grumpy that I never told him that I really wanted to see him. But on my last day in Karachi, I called him up and straight forwardly asked him to see me to which his reaction was "rehnay do ab". Latter he texted and showed interested in meeting up. We fixed a spot and I took a rickshaw (three wheeler ride) and went off but on my way he texted me saying that he's having panic attacks, palpitations and all that and couldn't meet me. And I was left with "Ok Tc". It wasn't in my wildest nightmare that I would receive that kind of treatment from him.


CASE 3: This guy I presumed as queer but told me otherwise, has been quite a mental fuck. He used to talk and debate over issues of social and political importance and of queer politics and all that. He was also determined to take me to show his hospitality and his city but before my arrival at Karachi, I realized that he's extremely homophobic and ready to wage war against every queer in Pakistan, though his profile has hundreds of queers, even those 'ready to squeeze your tool' kind of sleazy guys who I can never add to my profile, even being a gay myself; with whom I have a number of only queer mutual friends; and who's so much anonymous at his facebook profile that he never posted any face pic of himself (internalized homophobia!!!)So I decided not to contact him myself during my visit and he also didn’t bother to do so. Well I wonder how can a person like him can confide in a filthy sinful obnoxious gay guy is still a mystery yet to be solved.

Analysis and Profiling:
• All three of them use Khan at the end of their pseudonyms.
• All three of them are religiously conservatives (rather bigots).
• All three of them are perpetrators of homophobic.
• All three of them avoid confrontations and debates.
• All three of them display very good and generous nature, though which proved to be otherwise.
• All three of them are closet shit holes.
• They can aptly be called "Real Housewives of Karachi" after taking in account of their manipulative and cunning nature.


Photo Courtesy: Peter Kas

3 comments:

  1. I am really at a loss and fail to understand why they did what they did. If they had to show an attitude and give you cold shoulder (and hurt u big time in the process), why did they show such warmth in the first place? I fail to comprehend the so-called insecurities that people use to justify their obnoxious idiosyncrasies.

    Go zara si baat pe barson ke yaaraane gaye
    Lekin itna toh hua kuch log pehchaane gaye

    Good riddance!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your support and comments. Well let me tell you that apart from these, other friends did show up and it was really nice to hang out with them. I 'll be posting about them soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the term, "closet shit holes" lol.. yes, closet gays can go to any length to be in closet and even i have had a few encounters :-( and everytime, I live in a false hope for a long time

    ReplyDelete